Monday, November 2, 2009

To The Devil... A Daughter (1976)


Directed by Peter Sykes for Hammer Films, To The Devil... A Daughter stars Christopher Lee (which makes this film worth watching in itself.)

I've been YEARNING to see this movie since I read about it in Clive Barker's A-Z of Horror a few years back. Now, thanks to my beloved Video Fan, I can proudly say I have borne witness to this gem of a film.

I really enjoyed this movie. Really, it has everything one expects from a Hammer film: lush scenery, beautiful women and atmosphere that overwhelms anything else, rendering it unimportant. Aspects of this movie were confusing, and the ending, which consisted of hitting Christopher Lee over the head with a rock, was a bit anti-climactic, but the baroque tone cancels out these shortcomings. The scenes of Christopher Lee as a fallen priest leading rites to Astaroth are compelling enough to tide one through the saggy bits.

Also, Natassaja Kinski makes a beautiful old-school nun. The scenes of her running through the streets in full habit are a must-see for genuine Sixties European scenery.

B+

No comments: